Please note that our Smoke Stretch Silk Satin is currently out of stock, but we can make up the kit in any of our other base fabrics.
Our Lace Bra Kits take the guesswork out of bra building by putting together everything you'll need to make a beautiful bra using your own pattern. If you need a pattern, we have a great selection on our Patterns Page, both paper and downloadable.
What a beautiful vision of monochromatic loveliness! This ensemble is shown in full color, but it looks like grayscale with the many shades of gray. Our Featured Artist Asmaa made this gorgeous capsule lingerie wardrobe with this kit in our dreamy Stretch Silk Satin (such a pleasure to sew!), an extra yard of lace, a Stretch Mesh Undie kit in the Special color Smoke, a Bralette Finishing Kit, and a part of a kit cut of Spacer Foam that she already had. She ended up using very nearly every scrap of material, making it a Zero Waste project as well. What an amazing value -- all these garments for so little investment, and prettier than anything I've seen out there. She used a combination of the cups from the Marlborough pattern from Orange Lingerie and the cap sleeves and band from the Emily from Michelle's Armoire for the bra. She used the Sweet Sixteen bralette pattern from Bra Maker's Supply for the bralette. She used the Carly French Knickers upsized to give them a more vintage floaty feeling and her own self-drafted high waist, high leg undie pattern for the 2 bottoms. We're showing you the entire capsule, but this kit is for the bra only (although it does go pretty far!).
This bra kit features either Stretch Silk Satin, Microduoplex, Sheer Cup Lining, Super Simplex or Microlycra as the base fabric. One kit contains everything that you need to make a bra and has enough fabric for 2 with many sizes. To get the second bra with larger sizes, upgrade to the half yard of cup fabric and add a bra finishing kit.
A Shades of Gray Lace Bra Kit contains:
- A fat quarter of Microduoplex, Sheer Cup Lining, Super Simplex or Microlycra or a half yard of Stretch Silk Satin in Smoke plus a kit cut of Sheer Cup Lining.
- Add an extra kit cut of Microduoplex or Sheer Cup Lining for larger sizes.
- 28" x 14" of Powernet (specify regular or firm weight)
- 1 ½ yards of Shades of Gray stretch lace
- Band elastics
- 1 ½ yards of 3/8” scalloped band elastic
- 1 ¼ yards of 5/8" or 1/2" scalloped band elastic
- 1 yard of plush channeling
- Twill tape for seam stabilization
- 3 hook and eyes (please specify 2 or 4) to match the band
- Strap elastic
- 6" plus interfacing for self straps (no rings and slides, best for strapless or Bravo Bra #2)
- 1 1/2 yards plus rings and slides for elastic straps in ½” or ¾”
The strength of our microduoplex fabric, which makes it so wonderful for bras, also makes it hard to puncture with needles and pins. This is true with most duoplex fabrics. Use either fine silk pins or Wonder Clips to pin (I find Wonder Clips work best), and a Microtex 80/12 needle with a smooth thread like Superior Threads So Fine or Mettler Metrosene to make it easy to sew. In my testing, the So Fine thread and Microtex 80/12 won the challenge of the nicest stitch on microduoplex, and as long as my presser foot completely covered the seam allowance, I found it just as easy to sew as quilting cotton. I moved the needle to the right to set my seam allowance at 1/4" since my presser foot is a bit wide.
We offer all these pins, clips, needles and thread here on our site.